Soms is Filipinized Thai food. I heard about it because a few of my friends had good things to say about the value for money of this place. I was excited to try their food.
Spring Rolls = These are pretty good but the Sweet Spicy Sauce is really SWEET spicy
Tom Yum = Classic Tom Yum+Sugar
Curries = All taste the same and on sweet side
Pad Thai = Bordering on Soggy Noodles and on the sweet side
Thai Iced Tea = Classic Thai Iced Tea + Loads of Sugar
Value for Money is pretty high since its pretty low priced and servings are quite big.
this is to complain about ur rules and regulations of your restaurant. i am working in a legal council, i was notice that your establishment was not given a proper official receipt to your customer. u should follow the minimum range, and give the proper benificiary to each of your employees. please bear with this notice. to aware with any problem of your restaurant in the future.
Sorry to hear about the experiences here from their Makati branch. They also have a branch in Mandaluyong at the Maysilo circle, across the Mandaluyong City Hall. This is the one I tried. Contrary to the reviews from the Makati branch, service there is good. Staff are attentive and they serve with a smile. :)
I haven't eaten authentic Thai food so when I ate the pad thai, it was good enough for me. Spring roll was crunchy. Serving size was enormous and our bill (pad thai with chicken, 2 Thai teas and spring rolls at 385 pesos only). Thai tea was yummy though too creamy for my preference.
I heard a lot of good stuff about this place. My club members even my co-workers have always put this resto in our list for eating out until the big day came... We were so excited!!! We're finally eating at Som's.. I said to myself.. Oh, I'm gonna taste an authentic Thai food again.. I could already taste Tom Yam and Pod Thai, 2 of my favorite Thai food... Then the dishes were served.. We felt cheated.. I tried these dishes from different restos in different countries.. That's not how it tastes like.. Of course, we couldn't just let it pass, we called for the manager, the bitchy waitress and sorry for the word start bitchin' that she was not the one who took our order... Blah, blah, blah... Bottom line, that food attendant does not deserve to be in that uniform and she's not supposed to be in a food business because the way she acted was no customer service. I think they shouldn't put authentic because it kinda misleads the customers and the food attendants totally need a customer service 101.. Be nice and treat all customer equally. Good thing, the red curry rice was
ok but it doesn't compensate for the entire dissapointing experience.
AMallsMovieClub - We are a group who watch movies A LOT. We search for the Metros hottest, authentic and delicious must eat places.
Soms used to be one of our top 3 must eat places because it was featured in a magazine before (can't remember w/c mag). Me and some of the movie club members decided to watch a movie at Rockwell and decided to eat at Soms. We are so excited because it was our first time to try their place and we are CRAVING for an Authentic Thai food.
Things that we liked about Soms:
1. Airconditioning - this is the only thing that we liked about the PLACE. Based on what we read online, they used to be a stall with chairs and tables outside. It was lunch time when we went there so it is great that they already have a bigger place with air conditioning.
2. Spring Rolls and Red Curry Rice w/ Shrimp - In terms of FOOD, these two are okay. We liked the rice and Thank God we ordered Spring Rolls because the rest of the foods that we ordered are soooo sour that we almost puked.
Things that we hated about Soms:
1. Pad Thai - They claim that their Pad Thai is their best seller so we are so excited to taste it. When we tasted it we almost puked because it was sooo sour and we think that they put too much ginger or green onions on it. The chicken and the egg on the Pad Thai is okay but the noodles are disgusting. We did not taste a pinch of spiciness on it.
2. Tom Yam - When this soup was served to us, it was not that hot (in temperature). It was also sour and it made Me and one of our members dizzy. We did not even finished 1/4 of the bowl considered that there are five of us there.
3. Chili Oil - Since we can no longer deal with the sourness of their foods we asked for a chili oil. It is also disappointing because it is not spicy at all, it's sweet (YUCK!).
4. I forgot the name of the last chicken dish that we ordered but it was like a Chicken Tocino in fried leaves. It's sweet and the serving is not worth it at all.
5. SERVICE - since we are so disappointed on their food we called a waitress and looked for a manager to complain. She initially declined to let us speak to a manager or the owner. We told her what our concern was and she said that the food that was served to us is MILD in terms of spiciness and we should have requested to make it SPICY. We told her that we were not given that option when our oder was taken, and why would we ask to make our food spicy? Aren't Thai foods known to be spicy? They should ask their customers if they want to make their orders mild and not spicy. DUH! Also, she was very defensive in saying that she was not the one who took our orders and served us. She eventually called their cashier, she said that she is the owners cousin. She is a nice lady and apologized for the experience considering that it was our first time there.
6. RECEIPT - they do not give receipts, they just write the things that you ordered on a piece of paper w/ the amounts on it and get the total from there. We rechecked that paper and knew that we are over charged by 150 pesos. Good thing we checked it first before we paid. Is it even legal for them not to issue receipts?
Our over all experience was BAD. We will never eat at SOMS nor recommend it to our friends, families and colleagues. Soms wasted our money, time and effort.
The food was good but not extraordinary. However, the service was TERRIBLE! I had to wait an hour thirty minutes just for my order!
Food i ordered:
Bagoong rice- very good
Thai green curry- a bit akward cuz authentic green curry should be spicier and this was plain sweet.
curry rice- Very Good; my favorite out of the bunch
catfish salad- personally, it's not my taste profile but the fried catfish that came with it was good
shrimp cake- terrible; it was just plain weird
spring rolls- nothing much
I rated the food 4 stars just because i loved the curry rice! Also cuz the food is very cheap and was much more than i expected. A serving of curryrice is enough for 4-6 people and it's less than 300 pesos.
P.S- Som's is almost always jampacked so if you wanna eat here, make sure your not that hungry!
Not very spicy but food is OK. But one request is not to put the garbage outside at night. Many rats, cats, dogs are outside of the shop at night. Will not give good impression. My sincere request. Pleasse understand.
I agreed to Mr.Ishikawa..He has a good sense and concerned to your resto.I even also saw the rats hanging around,eating around to your dirty garbage after your resto closed.Its so so so soooooo yakkkiiiiissss!!!!!!!!!! i hate rats!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone hate rats! so, i would suggest to, pls! pls! pls! throw away your garbage properly right after closing time. Otherwise,If you dont that you will lose your good costumer..
First of all the Hygiene of the kitchen will send sensitive folk scampering. The food is lousy and a poor excuse for Thai food. Everything is just sweet lacking the flavor of real Thai food. For those who have never tasted real Thai food before, this place maybe OK. Believe me, this is a far cry of what it should be.
For it to be rated as one of Manila's Best Kept Restaurant Secrets says much of the authors.
You are much better off in other Thai restaurants. Chariya's Thai Kitchen in 168 mall is much better, believe me.